skip to content
 

The Lauterpacht Centre

The Centre was founded in 1983 by Sir Elihu Lauterpacht. It moved in 1985 to its current premises in a fine Victorian family house with a large garden at No. 5 Cranmer Road, five minutes walk from the Faculty of Law. A new wing was added to the building in 1996 which houses the Finley Library and the Snyder Study Room. In 2002 the Centre acquired the adjoining house and garden at No. 7 Cranmer Road which has been refurbished into lecture and conference facilities and accommodation for visiting fellows.

In 1996 the University of Cambridge renamed the Centre the Lauterpacht Research Centre for International Law in honour of both Sir Hersch and Sir Elihu Lauterpacht to mark their distinguished contribution to international law at Cambridge.

The Centre has been able to develop into what it is today due to the vision of Sir Elihu Lauterpacht and its many generous benefactors. No. 5 Cranmer Road was purchased with the generous financial support of the Lauterpacht family, Dr Earl Snyder and Mr Edward St George. For the new wing in 1996, particular thanks is due to Mrs Julie Finley and Dr Earl Snyder. No. 7 was purchased with generous support from the Government of Bahrain and Trinity College Cambridge.

International Law at Cambridge

The teaching of international law at Cambridge began with the establishment of the Whewell Chair of International Law in 1868. Over the following century, international lawyers at the University established a strong reputation in the field, both as academics and through their practical work as counsel, arbitrators and judges. Notable figures include John Westlake, Lassa Oppenheim, Lord McNair (President of both the International Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights), Sir Hersch Lauterpacht (a Judge of the International Court), Sir Robert Jennings (President of the International Court), Clive Parry, Sir Derek Bowett and James Crawford.